The success of our club depends on the commitment of all its members in ensuring Penmaenmawr Sailing club is a safe place to have fun and get out on the water. The club is affiliated with the W.Y.A. and the R.Y.A and follow their code of practices.
Our Mentors and Instructors undertake checks through the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) (which has replaced CRB checks). We will
• Create a safe and welcoming environment, both on and off the water, where children can have fun and develop their skills and confidence.
• Recognise that safeguarding children is the responsibility of everyone
• Treat all children with respect and celebrate their achievements.
• Carefully recruit and select all volunteers.
When children are sailing we ask that parents or an adult in loco parentis remain on site and take advantage of our wonderful facilities and enjoy the view.
The club needs people to help with all aspects of Sailing. Consider becoming a club volunteer. All you need is enthusiasm time (and a little form filling). Help is needed in lots of ways and some examples include
• Rigging, launching and retrieving boats
• Manning the slipway
• Guard boat launch and recovery
Why not share your experience and become a sailing mentor? Sharing your skills and experience can be rewarding and is open to sailors of all ages (see our Duke of Edinburgh page). Maybe you will be mentoring a future Olympic Sailor (UKCRA -Donate a Wreck) If you are an experienced sailor and would like to become a mentor please see a committee member. Some examples of skills you will need include
• Explain what is meant by windward and leeward
• Be proficient at tacking and gybing and sail a figure of eight course upwind / down wind.
The club is keen to support future instructors and are currently working with Conwy Councils community development service and the W.Y.A to look at increasing participation in sailing. Therefore the need for more instructors.. Currently 2 of our young members are working towards instructor status. If you already have skills such as Safety Boat or First Aid or are willing to donate some time please speak to us about the path to becoming an instructor.
What’s in it for me?
For 10 hours of volunteering you can access club boats (picos, lasers for club racing on a Sunday), maybe get a new qualification, Be part of a team and most of all have FUN!!